Colic can be defined an attack of crying more than once daily in early infancy. Many studies have shown that this problem affects from 5 to 20% of infants at some point.
It occurs to babies who are two or three-week-old and then disappears within 3 – 4 months.
Common Causes of Colic
No one can say for sure what the exact cause is, but some experts believe that gas bubbles in the stomach leads to abdominal pain and bloating. Plus, children whose mothers smoked during pregnancy are at a greater risk of developing colic.
Other common causes of colic in babies can be:
- Sensitivity to substances from the mother’s food or formula milk.
- Lactose intolerance
If you feel your baby are experiencing any of unusual symptoms, call your doctor right away.
Symptoms of Colic
The most common signs and symptoms of colic in babies include:
- Pain and discomfort
- Lots of moans and crying
- Gain weight more slowly than he or she should
In some severe cases, your newborn has some serious symptoms such as fever, vomiting and exhaustion.
The parents need to be ready to deal with this situation and the end colic as soon as possible. These following simple home remedies for colic can help get rid of your child’s pain and discomfort.
Home Remedies for Colic
How a warm bath may eliminate the symptoms of colic in babies?
This method has been used so widely for centuries because of its safety and effectiveness. You should give your baby a warm bath in the middle of your baby’s colic time. This will help your baby relax and soothe pain as well as discomfort.
- Prepare a baby’s bathtub filled with warm water.
- Mix with 3 -4 drops of lavender oil.
- Place your baby in it and hold your newborn securely.
- Using one hand to massage the locations of abdominal pain gently to ease painful trapped gas.
Be sure to dry your baby before helping him/her sleep.
Warm compress is also one of the most effective and simplest methods to treat colic in babies. Hundreds of studies have suggested that this home remedy provides a quick relief from the trapped gas due to its soothing effect.
For that you need to:
- Wet the towel with warm water and wring it out hard.
- Put this warm washcloth on his/her tummy
- Rubbing with this cloth in circular motions for 2 – 3 minutes.
To get the best results, make sure that you apply it 2 – 3 times daily.
Oil massage is also considered one of the most excellent home remedies for colic because of many different reasons. Many studies have suggested that regular oil massages will help keep digestion moving and release trapped gas and gas pain as well.
- Warm the olive oil by applying olive oil on your hands and rubbing our hands together.
- Gently massage the abdomen of infants in clockwise circles.
Use this simple home remedy twice a day until the symptoms go away.
For thousands of years, basil has been used so widely for getting rid of colic symptoms. It helps improve your baby’s digestion naturally, release trapped gas and relieve other types of gastrointestinal diseases due to its high concentration of eugenol.
- Prepare 500ml boiling water and add a tablespoon of dried basil leaves
- Leave it on 5 – 7 minutes
- Strain and wait for 10 – 15 minutes before feeding 1 – 2 teaspoons to your baby
Also, breastfeeding mothers should consume this solution 2 – 3 times a day.
Fennel seeds might help alleviate trapped gas and get rid of certain stomach-related conditions. If your newborn child is suffering from colic, it is worth to consider using fennel seeds. This treatment is one of the most useful home remedies for removing colic in infants.
- Combine one teaspoon of crushed fennel seeds with 350ml hot water.
- Cover and leave it on at least 13 minutes
- Strain it and feed your baby 1 – 2 teaspoons
Mothers who are breastfeeding also can consume this tea 2 – 3 times on a daily basis.
According to a 2001 study, the components found in chamomile tea can help reduce colic in babies quickly and safely. It contains the antispasmodic and sedative properties which are useful to ease intestinal cramping and enhance relaxation.
- Prepare a cup of boiling water and add two teaspoons of dried chamomile flowers into it.
- Cover the cup with something and wait for 5 – 7 minutes
- Strain and wait until the tea becomes cooler
- Feed your newborn child with 2 – 3 teaspoons throughout the day.
Note: Strong chamomile tea is not good for your baby.
Many studies have suggested that the antispasmodic and calming properties present in peppermint can prevent too much gas from entering the digestive system and ease abdominal pain effectively.
- Mix 2 – 3 drops of peppermint oil with 2 teaspoons of any massage oil.
Gently massage the abdomen of infants in clockwise motion.
Recent studies have suggested that a great number of gut-friendly bacteria found in yogurt can help decrease the likelihood of your baby having colic. Plus, it is also one of the most popular and cheapest dairy products which can be easily available in the market.
Both children and adults can use this food without any side effect.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar has been used so widely for centuries to removing many different conditions, including colic in babies. This natural antibiotic can help soothe your stomach and release trapped air in your baby’s digestive tract quickly and safely.
Note: You must mix apple cider vinegar with warm water before applying it for your newborn child because pure apple cider vinegar can be harmful.